City youngsters make it through to Quarter-Finals


13                                                                    Manchester-City-Crest (3)

Sheffield FC Ladies  1 – 2  Manchester City Women Res

This past Sunday saw a Manchester City Womens Reserves side beating Sheffield FC Ladies 2-1 at the FA Hub St.George’s Park facility in Sheffield, as the Blues youngster booked their place in the quarter-finals again Aston Villa Ladies with a great team effort and two second half goals by Kaylea Cuncliffe and Keeley Goodwin to book their passage to the next round. 

The home side started the match off on the front and caught the visitors in trouble at times, through some sloppy passes by a City side that featured no subsitute to speak off on the bench. Sheffield’s Kenedy Owen had the opening chance for the hosts in the 4th minute of the game, when Owen collected an under hit ball halfways inside the City half and saw the Sheffield player firing wide of the target.

Moments later it saw them intercepting another careless ball from City and it saw the captain for the home side in Lois Daniels, seeing her effort flying over the bar and sent more warnings to the visiting team that the home side were more than up for this cup tie. The away side was really struggling to find their way in the game and always seemed to over play the ball at times and combined with poor passing and good attacks by Sheffield Ladies, the home side were well on top and saw them wasting all their chances that came their way.


For the best part of the first, it saw a midfield battle taking place with both teams cancelling out the other side and made for an entertaining game to watch and also who would probably be the difference the game. Sheffield Ladies created many good scoring chances their way in the half, but with City defending deep at times it saw the away side unable to register any meaningful efforts.

Prior to the half time break it saw the hosts having three late chances going begging, as Firstly Kenedy Owens took a great touch to control and turn and then set Cara Fields away on goal, but her attempted effort saw her lifting the ball to high and went for a goal kick. Chloe Dixon then hit the woodwork for the hosts from a lovely Jess Heald cross into the box and then the final action saw Lois Daniels volleying over to see a goal less first half.

When the game restarted, it saw the pitch feel like it was sloped in City’s favour second half and led to Sheffield having to clear a shot off their line from an early effort in the half. 

The visitors were much more the aggressors in the second half of play and saw the ball striking the bar and needing the hosts to clear their lines and had the travelling supporters given something to shout after an uneventful first for the visitors. Youvette Loukes down the City right was seeing plenty of the ball and had her getting into great positions and having the better of her opponents down that flank, which saw the home side unable to contain the City number seven. 

img_20161113_173511-1After some great balls into the area by Loukes time and time again, it saw the deadlock finally being broken by the away side on 51 minutes, when a ball into the area was attacked by a City player in a crowded penalty area and saw the ball crashing off the bar again, before Keeley Goodwin was on hand to nod home from virtually the goal line to put the visitors one up.

Katie Anderson then saw her being denied by the City keeper Rachel Derbyshire soon after, with the goalkeeper quickly down to her right to make the important stop. It saw the away side gaining more and more in confidence and having some great chances, but much like Sheffield in the first, City just weren’t able to convert their chances to goals.

Finally the away side had some breathing space in the cup tie now as they added a second what a goal it was too. Play down the right saw a ball cleared away from the Sheffield box and went only as far as Kaylea Cuncliffe, who then got to the edge of the area before unleashing a fierce strike that beat the keeper and found the top corner to put City 2-0 in front and send the travelling Blue fans delirous.

City should have put the game to bed after two good chances came the way of the visitors, but the away side were just getting their aiming off target at the worse possible point. Seconds before the 90th minute ticked by, it saw a hard challenge on Keeley Goodwin by a Sheffield player in the middle of the pitch and it resulted Goodwin having to be helped off the field of play and didn’t look to good for City’s second goalscorer.


Photo: Amelia Kemp Twitter


Sheffield found it difficult to make their extra man advantage count, as the visitors were able to control it as best they could and were forced to play out the remainder of the game with just 10 players, due to no-one being on the subs bench for City. Eventually the home side pulled a goal back through Chloe Dixon from close range in the 98th minute, but that goal proved to be little more than a consolation goal for the hosts and had the red rose of Lancashire prevailing in the war of the roses.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s