Shootout Joy For Storm over Flyers

primarystorm2015logo-1 Manchester Storm 4 – 3 Fife Flyers (After Shoot-out)   ctjwxjowiaqqeqn

Manchester Storm picked up their first shoot-out victory in over year to prevail 4-3 over the Fife Flyers at Silver Blades ice rink in Altrincham, as penalties by Mark Heatley and Darian Dziuryznski was enough to see the home side to victory after their opponents failed to convert on their two penalties.

The Storm welcomed the Flyers to Altrincham for the second time this season and got off to a flyer- if you pardon the pun as Taylor Dickin put the puck through the legs of the Fife goalie for the early lead to see Manchester one up. Fife who have struggled against the Storm of late and failed to find the back of the net in their previous two league encounters against them, it saw that trend continuing in the game as theyr were denied by the the goal-tending of Mike Clemente between the pipes.

Adam Harding of the Storm and Fife’s Kyle Haines then decided to drop the gloves and have a scrap, which resulted in play being halted for a few minutes whilst they cleaned up the blood on the ice. Manchester thought that they had doubled their lead when Taylor Dickin put the puck into the net with Shane Owen down on the ice, but referee Steve Brown after having a discussion with his linesman then decided to wash out the goal and leave the home fans venting over the decision.

Second period saw more of the same sustained pressure by the home team and had Fife in a lot of bother, but they just weren’t able to make their dominance count. Eventually a second goal did arrive for the Storm and it came from American defenceman Paul Phillips, who put the home side two up. Manchester then seemed to almost play a counter-attacking style as the period went on and that saw the Flyers showing signs of coming back and were knocking at the door more often and needed the home side to defend resolutely at the back.

All good things must come to a end eventually, and that record of not conceding for 162 minutes of play against the Fife came to an end with 54 seconds left on the clock in the second frame. The goal came from the stick of former Braehead man Brendan Brooks as he put a shot on shot goal and got the Flyers on the board near the end. That goal kick-started the visitors comeback in the third period and saw Chase Schaber levelling thing up in the game after he robbed Omar Pacha of the puck in the Manchester zone and then fired the puck past Clemente for a 2-2 game.

With the visitors having the better of the play in the third period, it saw Fife completing their turnaround in the game with just over three minutes left on the clock. Chase Schaber grabbed his second goal of the contest after a Brendan Brooks pass across the face of goal was turned in by the Flyers man and that looked to have given the Kirkcaldy side victory in the contest late on. 

As the game headed into the final minute of regulation and seeing the Storm trailing by one, it saw the hosts ploughing forward and pulling the goalie for the extra attacker and had their hard work in the game paying off in the end. With 48 seconds on the clock it saw Mario Trabucco taking a quick pass from Matt Bissonnette at the side of the side of the net and ‘Super Mario’ shot it high into the net for 3-3 and send the game to overtime. 

Overtime couldn’t separate the sides and so penalty shots was needed to determine the extra point between the two. Fife went first and saw Ryan Dingle seeing his effort being stopped by Mike Clemente and then Mark Heatley put his penalty at the side of Shane Owen for the 1-0 lead in the shootout. Former Manchester man last year in Matt Sisca saw him pinging his penalty off the post and that gave Darian Dziurzynski the chance to seal the win and on his penalty and he put his effort the other side to where Heatley put his and gave Storm the win and most importantly the two league points.

The shootout win was their first in extra play since October 10th of last year against the Edinburgh Capitals and that one big thing to finally get off their back, after many losses in overtime or shootouts. Storm now face a tough run-in to Christmas with the 2nd leg of the Quarter-final against Belfast in the Challenge Cup in Northern Ireland and then a trip a couple of days later to Cardiff to face the runaway leaders so far in the Devils.

Match Stats:

Shots on Goal:   Manchester:  Mike Clemente 39 (3)      Fife :  Shane Owen 43 (3)

Powerplays:       Manchester : 0/1                                     Fife:  0-4

Penalty Minutes:  Manchester  15 PIMS                         Fife: 9 PIMS



Manchester: Mario Valery-Trabucco 1+0, Taylor Dickin 1+0, Paul Phillips 1+0, Omar Pacha 0+1, Jack Prince 0+1, Darian Dziurzynski 0+1, Cody Cartier 0+1, Matt Bissonnette 0+2

Fife: Chase Schaber 2+0, Brendan Brooks 1+1, Ryan Dingle 0+1, Philippe Paquet 0+1

Player of the Game:   Manchester:  Mario Valery-Trabucco            Fife: Chase Schaber 


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s